POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Planetary Heightfields: Now what? : Re: Planetary Heightfields: Now what? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 13:17:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Planetary Heightfields: Now what?
From: Simon de Vet
Date: 26 Aug 1998 10:43:53
Message: <35E41F6C.80D24035@istar.ca>
David Cook wrote:

> It looks to me like these are not pure height fields, but rather, height
> field renderings. If you look closely, you can see shadows around the
> features, probably created by embossing the original height field data to
> give this 3-D effect. If you try using these as height fields, you'll
> probably be disappointed with the results.

Still, they're a lot better than what I have right now.

For the record, what I have right now is absolutely nothing.

See what I mean? I'm not interested in making a topographical globe of Venus
to see door to door, I just want to play around with some heightfields based
on actual places, and these looked the most interesting....

Simon
http://home.istar.ca/~sdevet